HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

After the Attack

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Casey
Admin

PostSubject: After the Attack   Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:16 pm

Blake ignored the whispers and stares as he carried the injured Shadowhunter inside. Aubrey, loyal as always but slightly irritated, followed closely behind him, only stopping to give her best friend Bethany a quick, reassuring hug. Any member of the pack could see that the siblings had been through an attack, and the shifty eyes were filled only partly with worry. The other emotion in the room was curiousity, directed towards the unconscious girl that Blake was carrying.
"Beth, go find my mom." Blake heard Aubrey's quiet voice, but kept walking. The furniture had very few seperate rooms, and was mostly one giant room filled with beds and sofas. It was perfect for their pack, a large family living together, but right now he needed privacy. Stepping inside what had once been a staff office, he set the girl down on a twin bed that had been moved in here. He gently brushed hair out of her face.
Aubrey pretended that she didn't see her brother staring at the girl too long, concern filling his eyes. She actually cleared her throat to announce her presence in the room, as if she was interrupting something.
"Mom's coming," Aubrey told him, sitting down in a chair against the opposite wall. Blake could tell that she was uneasy about the Shadowhunter still, and was here for him, not for her.
Right on cue, Aubrey's mother entered, different mixtures and bandages overflowing in her arms. She had Aubrey's exact shade of red hair, and although she technically wasn't related to Blake, she could have easily been his mother as well, and Blake didn't think of her as anything but that.
"Your father's waiting outside." She said as she sat down next to the Shadowhunter. The siblings got up, ready to face what was waiting, but then their mother stopped them. "No, not you Aubrey. I need you here. Just Blake."
Was that a sigh of relief he heard as Aubrey took her place next to her mother? It didn't matter anyways. Bringing the girl here had been completely Blake's idea, and he wouldn't have told their father otherwise.
Blake stepped out of the room. His father motioned for him to follow him, so Blake did as his dad led him away from the prying eyes of their pack.
Out of earshot, the anger became more apparent on the pack leader's face. His son might have felt sheepish, even apologetic normally, but he couldn't bring himself to regret bringing the girl here. Who knows what would have happened if they'd left her there, and at least now he could make sure she got some proper care.
"What were you thinking, bringing her here? She's a Shadowhunter. I know we signed the Accords and we all get along, but still. You don't bring a Shadowhunter to the pack's home, Blake."
Blake really should have apologized right then and there, offered to take her home and not worry about another thing. But, being him, he couldn't make the words leave his lips. Instead, the words he spoke were those of a typical rebellious son.
"She's unconscious and hurt. I couldn't just leave her there. She needs to stay here. When does all this crap about helping the helpless and being a good leader actually come into play for you? When it's someone of our own 'kind'? God, we're all humans here."
Blake's father looked like he could barely contain his rage at his son's defiance. "You want her to stay? Fine. But you'll have to watch her, look after her. Anything she does is your responsibility. And she needs to leave as soon as she's well enough to." He looked at him with some small amount of pride, as if that was the best punishment in the world.
Blake nodded, mumbling under his breath that she wasn't some sort of pet. His father pretended he hadn't heard, sometimes it was best just to let things go, and walked back to the pack, quickly announcing what had been decided. Blake couldn't here him though, he was already walking back to the other room.
The girl was still unconscious, but now she looked more like she was sleeping. The small scratches that have covered her body had been attended to, some sort of herb lining each individual one. Blake noticed that the two girls had changed her clothes too, her Shadowhunter gear laid out on a table nearby. Only Aubrey remained in the room, her mother had left, and she was again curled up in the chair.
"She should be waking up soon," Aubrey said, not looking at Blake. She was tired, he could tell, and the attack might have shaked her up more than he originally thought. "Mom said that once she wakes up she'll hopefully be able to draw a healing rune on herself.. That should help some."
Blake smiled at her. "Thanks, Bree. You should get some sleep. I'll keep an eye on her." Aubrey nodded at the dismissal, giving her brother a grateful smile in return before heading off to find her own bed. Taking his sister's place, Blake sat down, trying to think of what he would say to this girl when she woke up.

Admin

PostSubject: Re: After the Attack   Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:49 pm

For a long time, she wasn’t aware of anything. No sounds, no shapes, no colors; she couldn’t even remember where her heart was, let alone hear it beating. And then, with the speed and coloration of a rising sun, Vanessa was aware of a great light. The relief at having the nothingness taken away was replaced by her discomfort as the light became almost unbearable. She knew not where it had come from or why the hell it was there. All she knew was that it was there, in a place it shouldn’t be. The thought that maybe she was crossing over into Heaven had crossed her mind, but only briefly. She wasn’t much of a church goer, but she would have bet everything she owned that ascension didn’t involve going through as much pain as she was.
And then she heard it. A low, soft laughing, almost as if she was a football field’s length away from it, carried across to her. Vanessa couldn’t recognize the sound at first, but the more she listened the more things started to become clearer. At last, her efforts were rewarded with not a name, but a title of sorts. The thing didn’t have a name, or not one that she was aware of. Demon. Like a stopper being yanked out of a full bath tub, the realization triggered the flow of memories that had just been out of her reach. She remembered everything now. The call from the Clave, her journey to the Café, and then the ambush that she had walked right into. Everything.
Through all this, the mysterious light had continued to grow, its rays becoming practically solid, suffocating her with the pressure. Now that she had more than pain to run with, she found that she could almost feel her arm’s, laying next to her. Willing strength into her phantom limbs, Vanessa funneled every ounce of energy she had left into pushing against the barrier. It felt like a wall of cement, but she couldn’t give up. She wasn’t going to let the Demon win, not when they’d already taken so much from her already. Slowly, she felt the resistance breaking, and with one last push, the bright light was gone. In its place was a darkness completely different from the nothingness she had experienced before; she could feel herself again. And with this knowledge, she found her eyelids and cautiously lifted them.
The brightness that greeted made her wonder at first if she had really escaped the Demon’s torture. However, as she continued the blink, the brightness around her started to take shape. Blurs became things like ceiling tiles and bulbs. This surprised her because she had been expecting the dark, star-filled sky outside the Café. Her muscles tensing with wariness, Vanessa slowly lifted her head enough to see in front of her.
She was in an office. Sparsely furnished, but the computer and swivel chair singled it out as an office. But, wait. There was someone in the chair. As her vision continued to sharpen, so did other senses, including the ones that made her a Shadowhunter. It only took one glance at the man in the chair to send her hand straight to her pocket. But instead of the cold, metal of her dagger, Vanessa's fingers brushed across soft cotten. Taking away her weapons she could understand, but changing her out of her clothes? It seemed like the only way she was going to find the answer to her question was to confront the werewolf sitting in front of her.
" If this is a hostage situation, I'm telling you now, you're not going to get much from my kind."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Casey
Admin

PostSubject: Re: After the Attack   Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:20 pm

Blake watched the girl curiously as she woke, a small trace of panic on her face. It was only when she realized that she didn't have her weapon, that she chose to speak to him, " If this is a hostage situation, I'm telling you now, you're not going to get much from my kind."
Blake couldn't help but chuckling a little. He had, of course, met Shadowhunters before, but he'd forgotten how feisty they could be. For example, the girl before him was clearly on defensive, despite having just woken up from an attack.
"Not a hostage. My sister and I found you knocked out by the Cafe, and brought you back here. Her and my mother patched you up, so I guess you're kind of like our guest. You're allowed to leave as soon as you're well enough to." He didn't mention that she would probably be forced to leave, but judging her attitude, she'd probably walk out right now, if she could.
He really wanted her to stay, though. The caring, concerned part of him knew that he would have to make sure she was completely better before he let her walk away.
"Oh, here." He slowly handed her the stele she'd been carrying, and she eyed him suspiciously. "I'm supposed to give you that so you can draw a healing rune, or whatever. We've already done as much as we can."
Her lack of gratitude was really starting to irritate him. Sure, the situation was unusual, but Blake thought that you would atleast thank the person who had saved your life.
"I'm Blake, by the way."

Admin

PostSubject: Re: After the Attack   Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:16 pm

Apparently the werewolf found the fact that she wasn't worth much to her people to be funny, as a deep laugh escaped his calm reserve. Maybe it had been funny and she just hadn't realized it. Vanessa definitely wasn't the kind to crack jokes.
Especially not right after waking up from a Demon-induced comma in close quarters with a werewolf.
"Not a hostage. My sister and I found you knocked out by the Cafe, and brought you back here. Her and my mother patched you up, so I guess you're kind of like our guest. You're allowed to leave as soon as you're well enough to."
So, she had been rescued? And by a Downworlder nonetheless. Even after going over the story a couple times in her head, she still couldn't quite buy into it. Sure, the Accords had been signed long ago and promised peace between Faeries, Werewolves, Vampires, and Shadowhunters. But Vanessa had never really thought that she'd ever see the day that a werewolf would willingly rescue her, and then just as willingly let her leave. There just had to be something behind it all, some ulterior motive that had pushed them into helping her. As soon as the thought crossed her mind, she knew that must be the case. But what the werewolves stood to gain from it all still seemed a little fuzzy.
"Oh, here." Vanessa's eyes zeroed in on the wolf's hand, expecting some weapon to leap out at her, but instead she saw the familiar gleam of her stele.
"I'm supposed to give you that so you can draw a healing rune, or whatever. We've already done as much as we can."
Reaching forward to retrieve the stele, Vanessa suddenly cringed, almost dropping the stele; she hadn't realized the extent of her injuries until just then. The whole of her left side felt like she'd been thrown up against a wall, and only momentarily remembered that she had. Without even checking, she knew the bruising was extensive. Her hands and arms were decorated with a variety of small, red cuts, and, as she reached up to touch her face, she felt a bandage covering one of her eyebrows.
Picking up the stele again with a more careful measure of her movements, Vanessa set to work with the iratze Rune. She was used to the extra sting that came with drawing a Ruin on one's self, and was soon complete with her work. Even with the added help of the iratze she knew the bruising on her side would still smart, making it hard for her to walk home. More than ever she wished she hadn't gone alone on the mission, and wondered where the hell Derek and Bridget were. Probably still locked in their own little world, she thought bitterly.
Stowing the stele in the pocket of her newly acquired cotton shorts, Vanessa turned back the werewolf remembering that she had not yet thanked him. Sure, he probably had a secret incentive for helping her, but that didn't mean she didn't at least owe him a small thanks. She blamed her parents for all the years they'd forced manners down her throat.
" Well, Blake," she said, just barely catching his name," I truly appreciate the help you and your people have given me. If you wouldn't mind getting me a phone so I can call one of my friends, I'd be even more grateful."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Casey
Admin

PostSubject: Re: After the Attack   Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:22 pm

Blake pulled his cell phone out of his pocket and wordlessly handed it to the injured Shadowhunter. He would hate to see her leave so soon, but he figured he should help her any way he could, despite his own conflicting desire for her to stay.
Blake was starting to become irritated with himself too, because technically, he should want this girl out as soon as possible, since he was unsure if she was a threat to the pack. However, he couldn't bring himself to feel that way with her. He also couldn't tell if it was because she was hurt, or just the girl herself.
He waited patiently as she dialed the number and pressed the phone to her ear. Her blank expression turned to annoyance as the rings continued, and eventually she shut the phone and handed it back. Blake easily picked up on her irritation.
Almost nervously, he pushed some hair out of his eyes. "If there's a problem, I could take you home."

Admin

PostSubject: Re: After the Attack   Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:12 pm

(I think we should just act like Vanessa woke up in the morning, even though this plot was going on while the Institute one was going on at night. text me, Case, if you're confused or think differently)
By about the third ring, Vanessa had already given up on getting an aswer. She had hoped that mabye the piercing ring of the phone would be able to break apart the two love birds that she was now dependant on. Obviously she had misjudged their connection. As Derek's warm voice came on asking her to please leave a message, Vanessa could feel her hand tightening around the phone, turning her knuckles white.
Guessing that the werewolf wouldn't be happy if she crushed his phone, the Shadowhunter returned it back to him without a word. It had been a while since she'd felt such hostile thoughts towards a person. She didn't really trust herself to be able to speak to Blake without lashing out in some way. And he'd been so kind to her. It was ironic that the one person she had never guessed would save her life actually had, while her own people were completely MIA. What a funny world.
"If there's a problem, I could take you home."
Blake's words interrupted her thoughts, increasing her annoyance at first. But, once she relized he was just trying to help, she let escape a small smile. He was so sweet, and without his help, she would have likely died. At the same time, though, Vanessa felt like she'd already abused enough of his help. He'd sat here by her side for who knew how long, most likely shirking any duties he had as a member of the pack. No, she needed do this on her own. Maybe it would help with the self-pity she'd been feeling since waking up. Atleast she'd be able to say that she was strong enough to get home by herself.
" No, it's ok. You've done so much for me already. I'll just see myself out if that's ok with you."
The last part squeaked out after her first attempt to get out of bed resulted in a spasm of pain. Not allowing Blake to answer her reply or rush to her side, Vanessa gritted her teeth and pushed through the pain. She was on her feet now and walking which was good. No shoes but she'd been in worse condition. Now she just needed to get outside.
The stares that followed her were uncomfortable to say the least. The whispers were even worse. But, deep down, Vanessa knew she had nothing to be afraid of. No one had attacked her. Yet.
She only had a few more quick shuffles to go when a pain, stronger than the others, lanced across her side, bringing her down right there on the carpted floor, the bright light of morning visible from between the door's cracks. There was no way she could cover the miles to the Institute alone in her condition.
"Damn that Demon," she muttered under her breath.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Casey
Admin

PostSubject: Re: After the Attack   Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:30 pm

Tucking his cell phone back in his pocket, Blake followed Vanessa outside of the room. Almost comically, as soon as the door opened everyone from the pack, lounging around on the couches and beds the old furniture store offered, froze. Conversations stopped. Every single eye was on the pair of them, but the focus was on Vanessa. Just as quickly, the whispers started up, gossip tossed around the room as if they were back in highschool.
For the brief moment that his attention was occupied by something other than the wounded Shadowhunter, she managed to fall to the floor, quickly masking the pain on her face. The whispers got louder, and Blake felt a protective spark flare up. A simple, menacing glare from the leader's son shut up the pack, and they all returned to whatever they had been doing before.
"Up you go," Blake said to Vanessa, carefully lifting her into a standing position, doing the best he could to avoid the bruises he knew covered her body. Still, she winced with pain, and on the inside Blake cringed. He didn't want to see this poor, wounded girl in any more pain.
"Come on, my car's parked right outside." Not waiting for an answer, he led Vanessa to the vehicle, one arm wrapped around her waist, helping her even though he assumed she probably hated it. His mother would kill him if he left a severely injured girl, even a Shadowhunter, relying on herself alone.
Opening the door to the passenger side without a moment of hesitation, Blake gave Vanessa a friendly smile as she slowly lowered herself into the car.
Getting in on his own side, Blake started the car, cranking the heat up a little. Although he didn't get that cold, he had a feeling Vanessa was. Turning to her, he ran his fingers through his hair. "Alright, where to?"

Admin

PostSubject: Re: After the Attack   Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:53 am

Having gotten past the initial stages of the fiery pain, Vanessa was able to catch the sight of a small, red ball roll past in front of her. The ball was followed closely by two of the cutest kids she'd ever seen. True to their childish nature, she heard the little tykes before she actually saw them, giggling and shouting all the way. God, they looked just like the kids back at the orphanage. The pangs of physical pain found a quick companion in the realization that she'd most likely never see those kids or the orphanage again. She had duties now. And, to top it all off, the minute the kids noticed how very close they were to her, the play immediately went out of their eyes, the ball long forgotten as they ran back to their mother's scolding arms.
"Up you go," a deep voice said, as a gentle pressure lifted her to a standing position. So, maybe it had been the 'big bad wolf' that’d scared the kids off. But, really, who was she kidding. She was the outsider here. More like 'the big bad Shadowhunter chick.'
"I almost had it," Vanessa thought to herself, as she turned to face her unexpected savior. This was twice now that Blake had come to her rescue, so she probably should slash off the unexpected in front of his nickname.
"Come on, my car's parked right outside." The arm that had so recently been placed on her wrist, slid to circle around her waist. Vanessa trembled at the sudden warmth that flowered through her from his touch. The fact that he was way too close to warrant an ‘ok’ from her was slightly delayed. But definitely there.
She'd hilariously misjudged the light from outside when she'd first glimpsed it, seeping in through the metal door's cracks. As Blake effortlessly pushed the door open, his arm still very present around her waist, Vanessa physically winced as the full effect of the mid-morning sun hit her. She'd been subjected to way too many bright lights in the past 12 hours, a fact that would be remedied by a long period of seclusion in her dark room the minute she got back to the Institute.
Finally adjusting her eyes to meet the needs of the way too happy sun, Vanessa saved herself from the embarresment of having to grasp around at nothingness, braced herself against Blake's car, and let herself drift as painlessly and slowly as possible into the scarred, leather seat. The absence of his arm on her waist was good for the coherency of her thoughts, but dammit if she didn't start feeling cold the minute he left to walk around to the driver's side. Stupid, inhuman, super warm werewolf. She had a strange feeling that she would have liked him better if he'd been just what she'd expected a werewolf to be, instead of this sweet, gentlemanly, guy who was so damn hot! Temperature wise, of course.
"Alright, where to?"
Vanessa waited a little while to answer, enjoying the returned comfort from the car's heater. The immediate answer was the Institute. But, her rebellious side, buried so deep down Indiana Jones wouldn't even be able to find it, taunted her with the idea of skipping out on the whole Shadowhunter gig. She could go back to the orphanage, take back the life she'd fit into perfectly, and live it out, the way she had planned. Of course, Derek or someone else would probably come try to bring her back. Let them come, alter-ego Vanessa thought. But, that meant more drama than Vanessa's true nature wanted to deal with, especially with post-Demon-battle wounds. Fine then, she'd go back. Didn't mean she had to be happy about it.
"I'm guessing you know where the Institute is, right?" The day hadn't even fully begun yet, and all she really wanted to do was sleep for a million years.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: After the Attack   

Back to top Go down

After the Attack
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1